Zwettl, Austria

Zwettl is a historic partially walled town in Lower Austria, founded by the knights of Kuenring and first mentioned in a monastery record in 1139. It was granted town privileges on December 28, 1200. Today, one can see the houses of the wealthy merchants from the seventeenth century which eminate from the main square as well as walk along the park adjacent to the city wall.  The Cistercian convent in Zwettl houses the only remaining manuscript of the life of the beguine mystic Agnes Blannbekin.