Scheßlitz lies in the 'Franconian Switzerland' area of Bavaria, an upland region between Bamberg and Bayreuth. For motorhome travellers there is a free stellplatz which can take four vehicles.
Scheßlitz had its first documentary mention about 805. Scheßlitz is among the area’s oldest settlements and has held town rights since 1230.
Linear Pottery remains in the Kohlstatt (“cabbage place”) make clear that there were settlers here as long ago as 2500 BCE.
Concrete clues as to the town’s history are yielded by the Codex Eberhardi in which it is documented that a Count Bernhard and his wife Ratbirg bequeathed their property on what is now Scheßlitz’s abutting rural area to the FuldaMonastery about the year 800. The town has seized on this event as its historical beginnings and thus celebrated its 1,200-year jubilee in 2005.
It is said that confirmation of the existence of a parish of Scheßlitz is the underwriting of a protocol about the Bamberg Synod in 1059 by Arnold de Sieslice.
The town gained importance through the Andechs Meranians’ activities, who rose to dukes in 1178. In 1230, one of Duke Otto VIII’s fortified Andechs Meranian castles in the civitas of Scheßlitz was mentioned, making Scheßlitz the Bamberg district’s oldest town.
The town of Scheßlitz was an Obervogtamt of the High Monastery of Bamberg, and with the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss of 1803, it became part of Bavaria.
Traveller Dietrich Amende wrote the following about the town of Scheßlitz in his 1912 book Bamberg und das Frankenland :
“Originally a Slavic settlement, Scheßlitz was already named in history in 805 and already styled an ‘oppidum’ (small town) in 1062. Today the picturesque small town with its admirable inns is a popular outing destination for people from Bamberg, Nuremberg and Coburg. Worth seeing are the parish church, a Gothic hall church with interesting gravestones from 1360, 1569 and 1570, the hospital church built in 1780 with the prebendary building built in 1739-74 in whose gable is a lovely relief by the Bamberg sculptor Gollwitzer, the Dillig’sche Haus with stately woodcarvings from 1612, the warriors’ memorial, etc. In the graveyard is found an exceptionally beautiful statue of the Holy Virgin from 1450, which comes from St. Martin’s Church in Bamberg.”