Mielnik is located in eastern Poland, not much further upstream the river Bug, shown here, forms the eastern border of Poland, first with Belarus and then with Ukraine.
There used to be a bridge across the Bug at Mielnik, paid for in part by the citizens of this town which was once much bigger than it is today. The bridge was destroyed in 1554 and when a new one was built it was some distance from the town.
Historically, Mielnik changed hands various times, having Polish, Lithuanian and Kievian rulers. The Swedish wars of the seventeenth century destroyed the town and marked its decline. Today the population is under 1,000 and it is hard to imagine that this village once accommodated the king of Poland for a month in 1513.