Gas cylinder explosion puts victims in hospital

Two ladies from Switzerland are in hospital after a gas cylinder exploded in their motorhome while they cooked fish.  Both are suffering from burns to their face and arms.  The incident occurred at Lake Hayes Reserve near Queenstown in southern New Zealand.

Other campers responded very rapidly on hearing the explosion and they managed to give immediate first aid which included pouring wate on them and then taking them to the lake to cool down.  Both ladies were in a state of shock.

A doctor from Lakes District Hospital said that one lady had serious burns whilst describing the others as being moderate.

The vehicle was a conversion based on a 1989 Mazda T3500.  

The police believe that the explosion was caused by an exploding cylinder although this writer thinks a leak in the gas line was more likely the cause.

Stuff.co.nz has a film of the van following the blast : http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/77640807/two-women-in-hospital-with-burn...

 

Comments

See also