This campsite is located in the countryside around 7km from the centre of Lindau in a very pleasant countryside setting with a great deal of birdlife nearby. Bordered by forests and vineyards and a short walk away from great views over Lake Constance and the Alps beyond, it is an excellent location for cycling with the benefit of a cycle way right outside the main entrance. The location is easily accessible by motorway and the town of Lindau is easily accessible via a regular twice an hour urban bus which is free to those staying at the campsite. Another feature of the campsite is the very varied cultural and entertainment programme which runs from April to September every day except Sundays. The campsite itself is open throughout the year.
On site there is an Italian restaurant run by an Italian chef which can seat over 200 people and offers a feeling of the area of Campania near Naples from where the manager hails.
The Gitzenweiler Hof is located on a historical manor, mentioned for the first time in 1384 and a 300 year old mansion still stands today. In the 14th century the Knight Ulrich lived in Ebersberg and in 1384 he sold his court with several other goods to a citizen of Lindau, Heinrich Sürg, according to the records in the Stadtarchiv Lindau. At the end of the 15th century the estate belonged to the mayor Hans Dehler of Lindau. In the sixteenth century, peasants asked the then lord of the manor, Dietrich Hurlewangen to back them in the peasant revolt. In the 18th century Daniel von Heyder resided at Gitzenweiler on the estate. His brother, the Wuerttemberg council and consul of Lindau, Gottlieb Heyder, handed over the manor of Gitzenweiler of an Anna Günther. When the Heyder family was raised to the aristocracy, they wrote from Heyder to Gitzenweiler. The original coat of arms can be seen in the Lindau Old Town Hall.
Campingpark Gitzenweiler Hof
Travelling by vehicle
If you are travelling by car on the A96 from Munich or on the A14 from Austria, take the Weißensberg exit and continue on the B12 in the direction of Lindau. After the village of Rothkreuz, follow the signs. From the B31 main road, take the Lindau exit and then take the B12 in the direction of Wangen. From here you can follow the blue camping park signs with 'Gitzenweiler Hof'.